What We Believe
The Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church is a Reformed Protestant congregation affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA, which has more than 2.4 million members, 10,000 congregations, and 14,000 active and ordained ministers.Â Worldwide, Reformed churches exist in 100 countries and have more than 75 million members.
Presbyterians trace their history to the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century. Today, the Presbyterian Church remains true to its early roots while being relevant to todayâ€™s world.
Some basic Presbyterian tenets are summed up in the ideas below. As a Reformed congregation, we:
- Affirm the sovereignty of God.
- Believe we are created in Godâ€™s image, yet in freedom are prone to sin and rebellion.
- Trust in Jesus Christ as Lord.
- Find identity and nourishment in the sacraments of Baptism and the Lordâ€™s Supper.
- Place a high priority on the Holy Bible as Godâ€™s word.
- Place a high priority on the life of the mind, stressing both order and ardor.
- Are mission-minded, after the example of Jesus Christ, and feel called to be good stewards of Godâ€™s resources.
- Celebrate and affirm community.
- Are ecumenical, reaching out to other Christian faith traditions as a way of better knowing and honoring God.
- Are a connectional church that practices shared leadership.
- Are a church reformed, always reforming.
- Presbyterian 101 - A General Guide
- Presbyterian 101 - Theology
- Presbyterian 101 - Positions on Social Issues
- "Who Are We Presbyterians" series
- "What Presbyterians Believe" series fromÂ Presbyterians Today
To read more about the Presbyterian Church USA and its beliefs and understanding, visit the Presbyterian Church USA.